An air mattress is prone to have holes at any point in time. So, it would help if you were very careful when using it for camping or relaxation. The life span and durability of an air mattress are highly unpredictable. That’s why you must know how to fix the air mattress if it damages. So, this article will focus on how to patch an air mattress with super glue?
The process is simple. Mark the area you want to patch on the mattress. Then compress the air mattress, and apply the super glue to the affected parts. This can be done alone or with friends or support persons. But read on to learn more about an air mattress, its maintenance, and lots more.
Can I Use Super Glue To Patch An Air Mattress?
You can use super glue to patch an air mattress. This gives it a solid hold without fear of a repeated leak or tears from the same spot. Superglue can hold resistant object parts or materials together. This makes it good enough for patching an air mattress.
Whenever an air mattress has a puncture or rather a hole, what comes to mind is how to fix it. Based on its texture, it’s always best to fix it as soon as it develops a hole to avoid further damage.
What You’ll Need: Tools & Materials
In every patch or repair, tools and materials are always required. You can’t patch or repair without tools and materials. For an air mattress, the tools required for patching include the following;
- Rubber patch
- Contact cement
- Metal scoring disk
- Bicycle repair kit
How To Find An Air Mattress Patch?
Finding a patch on an air mattress could be very tricky; you need to activate your sense of feel and listening ability. The process requires a few simple steps;
- Step 1: fill up a spirit bottle with soapy water.
- Step 2: use your hands to run through the top of the air mattress
- Step 3: raise the mattress up and gently run your hands across the mattress while you gradually spray the soapy water.
- Step 4: If the soapy water bubbles at any point on the surface of the air mattress, then that spot is a patch. In other words, that point has a hole.
How to Patch An Air Mattress With Super Glue?
Air beds are prone to have holes and therefore need to be patched. That’s why you must know how to patch an Air Mattress with super glue since it’s a simple process,
To avoid further damage, it is advisable to patch holes as soon as it’s suspected or noticed. Early detection and repair save costs to buy, time, and energy. You can patch an air mattress through the following simple steps;
1. Find The Leak
There are many ways to find a leak on an air mattress; we would look at the three most efficient; the use of soapy water, tissue paper, and baby powder.
Use Of Soapy Water:
This is a very tricky and tiring step. As it involves gradually spraying soapy water over all parts of the air mattress. In the process, any point on the surface of the mattress that bubbles when the water is sprayed on it. It indicates that there is a leakage at that point. Use a cloth to wipe off that point that had bubbles and put a mark or circle around it. Repeat this action until you have detected all the leak spots on the air mattress. Don’t forget to mark or circle the spots as well. This mark will help you locate the spots when you are set to glue.
Use of tissue paper:
First, you look for a quiet area, then inflate the air mattress. Take a piece of your tissue and lay it on the surface of the air mattress, gently work through with your hands on the tissue. Move around the surface and edges of the bed. While doing this, listen carefully for any sound. If there is a leak, there is usually a “hiss” sound and a slight disturbance on the tissue. Put a mark on the discovered leak or a circle around it. This will help you identify the spots when you are set to patch.
Use Of Baby Powder:
This is the use of baby powder to detect a leak on an air mattress. With this method, you pour baby powder all over the air mattress, then slowly inflate it more. The increased air due to pressure will escape out through any leak available. This will cause the baby powder to blow up in the air, indicating the point of the leak.
2. Gluing The Holes
- Step 1: After you have found the holes, the next step is to glue them.
- Step 2: First, you have to deflate the air mattress, then lay it flat on a hard surface.
- Step 3: Clean the surface of the spot with a dry cloth. Once done, apply the contact cement to the circle marked around the leak.
- Step 4: Then, place a dab of glue on the patch. Allow both to dry properly. For both to bond effectively, they need to bond properly.
- Step 5: When the cement has dried up, place the patch over the leak and press it firmly into the air mattress.
- Step 6: Rub the patch in a circular motion to ensure a good seal and eliminate any air bubbles.
- Step 7: If any of the corners are not adhering properly, repeat the procedure.
3. Testing It Out
Now that the glue is dried and all patched up, it is time to test it. Gradually inflate the air mattress and listen carefully for sounds that could indicate leaks. If no sound is heard, leave it inflated for hours to see if it will be deflated. Feel free to enjoy your air mattress if it doesn’t deflate after hours.
Tips To Maintain Your Air Mattress
Maintaining an air mattress is usually a challenge, as air mattresses are prone to leaks. But even at that, there are still ways to maintain it and make it last longer. Find the few tips you can use below;
- Type of environment: Your surrounding environment matters when it comes to an air mattress. You must ensure your environment is free of hazards before you blow up an air mattress. Take away any object that can poke or cause a leak to the air mattress.
- Inspection: constantly inspect your mattress to check for leaks or holes. Also, check for insects, roaches, or mold that could have grown on it.
- Right inflation: To maintain your air mattress effectively, put in the right quantity of air. If the air mattress is under-inflated, it gives room for leaks and holes. If over-inflated, it also poses damage to the air mattress.
- Use of bedding: It is very important to use a bedding case to cover an air mattress. Asides from making it look beautiful, it prevents direct punch on the mattress. Good bedding also eliminates dust, dirt, and other harmful effects that could damage the air mattress. This, in turn, preserves the life span and durability of the air mattress.
- Proper storage: Storing your air mattress is very essential if you want to enjoy the durability of your mattress. First, you must ensure the environment where you want to store your air mattress is conducive. It must be void of insects, bugs, dust, exposure to water leakage, and other harmful agents. Once you are ready to store, lay it flat on the floor and fold it neatly.
- Check: Periodic check is of utmost importance when it comes to an air mattress. This helps you detect and repair holes as soon as they are noticed. Periodically checking the air mattress, even when in storage, increases the life span and preserves its durability. So one of the best tips in maintaining your air mattress is to check the air mattress periodically.
- Keep clean: Bacteria, viruses, and dangerous insects cannot thrive in a clean environment. It is of utmost importance to keep your bedding and air mattress clean. Not only does it make you appear neat, but it also prevents harmful diseases and periodic sicknesses.
When you keep your air mattress clean, it gives you extra comfort and joy while you sleep. Also, a clean air mattress eliminates the possibility of sudden punches, cracks, and holes in the mattress. Although most times, it is quite challenging to control guests and children with the use of the air mattress.
It is still eminent that you clean your air mattress often and after every major use. You can follow a few steps in cleaning your air mattress without damaging it.
- Step 1: While your air mattress is still inflated, get a clean cloth
- Step 2: Get a clean bucket of water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid.
- Step 3: Dip the clean cloth inside the bucket of soapy water made from the dishwashing liquid.
- Step 4: Squeeze out a little water from the cloth gently, then use the cloth to start cleaning the air mattress simultaneously.
- Step 5: Once done, use a dry towel to dry the air mattress until you have covered the whole mattress.
- Step 6: Deflate the air mattress and put it outside to dry, preferably overnight drying.
Note: Never use bleach, bristles, or hard brushes to clean your air mattress. It could damage and reduce the durability of the air mattress. After drying properly, you can comfortably bring the air mattress in and enjoy a new fresh comfort.
Air mattress is an amazing tool for achieving comfortable sleep. To enjoy this comfort, you have to know how to maintain your air mattress. Asides from maintaining your air mattress, when it develops a hole, find out how to patch an air mattress with super glue. Above in this article, we’ve discussed the simple steps you can follow to patch your air mattress with super glue when you notice a hole. Follow the process next time your air mattress needs a patch.